before you move
A checklist of things you have to consider
Getting everything to move to another cyprus involves a lot more than packing. If you do not prepare in advance, you may have problems when you arrive (or even be refused to entry into Cyprus).
The most important thing when planning your move abroad is time. Make sure that you consider everything you have to do well in advance and know all the deadlines for getting each item done. The following checklist is designed to make this task easier and help prevent problems that might occur :
- Ensure that all your passport are valid . The process of applying for a visa may take several months and some countries require at least six months of passport validity to issue a visa, so be careful.
- Find out if you and/or family members need a visa and make the application as soon as possible if you do.
Getting ready to go
- Buy your tickets and make any necessary reservations for your trip.
- Check if you need an international driving license (remember that it is valid for only one year and it cannot be renewed, you must apply for it again).
- Make sure you and your pet have all the vaccines required to travel abroad. It may be required that your pet goes into quarantine.
- Arrange your travel insurance and your health insurance abroad (do not forget all other family members).
- Check whether your contributions towards your pension are recognized in the country you are moving to.
- Make sure that you and your family get medical and dental examinations, take a copy of the results. Also take documents that prove and describe your insurance cover.
- If you are renting a house, tell your landlord. Under many contracts you are required give notice several months in advance.
- Sell anything that you are not taking with you (cars, furniture, property, etc). Otherwise you can ask friends to take care of it or put it in a deposit.
- If you are leaving for a long period, perhaps you should give “powers of attorney” over your financial affairs to someone while you are absent.
- Cancel your utilities in advance: electricity, gas, oil, water, telephone (also your mobile) and internet.
- Cancel your subscription to any clubs, associations, courses, newspapers, etc.
- Close your bank accounts unless you think that you will use them.
- Inform the tax authorities that you are leaving.
- Give your new address to your friends, family and business associates.
- Redirect your mail through the Post Office.
- Pay all outstanding bills and loans before you leave the country. Give back any money you borrowed from friends.
Compare quotes from leading international movers
Selecting reliable movers is time consuming and complicated. Save time and money choosing between the leading international moving companies.
The experts in international removals Peter Morton Removals Ltd